Thursday, August 7, 2008

Will I ever grow up?

So I am sitting here at home, my husband gone at the fire station, and I am scared. Now you may ask of what, well let me tell you!!! I am scared of thunder and lightning. Yes I know pathetic. This goes back to my childhood, when everytime there was thunder and lightning I would be either hiding under the table or right by my parents side. If it was during the night you better believe I was to be found on the floor of my parents room. Well now that I am a mother I should be a protector for my little one when he is scared, but instead I jump everytime the thunder rolls and I find my heart racing fast, wishing my husband was here to protect me. Will I ever grow up?
Speaking of growing up. We had the annual Deschutes County Fair and Rodeo last week. I make it a goal to go to the fair atleast once during the week for a couple of reasons. For one, fair was mine and Chase's first date. Thanks Britt and Travis. So I like to go for the purpose of all the good memories. I also like to go because I know I will see old high school friends and it is always good to catch up with them. And who wouldn't want to go to the fair for their greasy, oily, and fattening food. Chase has to get an elephant ear, and I always have to get the famous Beaver Burrito. And no it does not have Beaver in it (people have asked that). This year Chase worked at a booth for two days for a guy he works with so he was there all day Wed. and Thurs. Wed. night was Pepsi night so Parker and I went with Megan and Chad to enjoy all the funness fair had to offer.
Yes Parker is riding a donkey. The rest of them were horses but I felt bad for the donkey cause he is kind of the under dog. So Parker had his first experience of riding an animal on a cute donkey.
Now you also go to the fair to ride the rides. Well rides have never been my thing. I have a super sensitive stomach and get woozy pretty easily. So I have always been the one sitting off on the sidelines while the others have fun risking their lives on the crazy rides that are put up in a day and tested only a few times. Um...no thank you.
And every year the fair has three singers or bands come and perform. This year it was Little Big Town, Alice Cooper and Kellie Pickler. We only made it to one of the three. Alice Copper of coarse. Just kidding. To tell you the truth I did not even know who he or she as I thought was. We saw some friends who told us they were going to the concert and I asked who she was. The response was blank stairs and "uh Shayla it's a guy." Oh okay. So for those of you who are not caught up on the rock singers. Here is who Alice Copper is.
He is quite the handsome man if I don't say so myself. So no we did not grace Alice Cooper with our presence. We did however go to the Kellie Pickler concert. I was really looking forward to this one because I have been a big fan of hers since American Idol. Yes she was ditsy and said stupid things but in ways I could relate to her. When I was sitting with Chase in his booth there were some people walking by and a guy said that he wanted to go to her concert only to see how stupid she was. I thought that was really rude, and despite what people may think, she was not stupid or ditsy at all and she did a great job. We were right on the side of the stage which we thought would be a good spot, but we were also behind the speakers so it was hard to hear the words. But despite that and the screaming girls behind us it was a good concert.
So as I get older, and I continue to go to fair and I continue to be scared of thunderstorms. I keep asking myself, Will I Ever Grow Up?

3 comments:

sdralphs said...

oh my goodness, the picture of parker on the donkey does not look like him at all. are you sure you were not helping some other kid! oh my heck i laughed so hard looking at it because it cant be him. seriously go back and check. p.s. your hobby can be writing because you are way good at it. your blog made me laugh here in this silent computer lab! love you~

Braydan and Jessica said...

You're funny Shayla. No, you should never grow up cause the fair is sweet! (Maybe I haven't grown up either???) Glad to know who Alice Cooper is and that you went to Kellie's concert instead. I like her, but really, she is kinda ditzy. Did you see her on Smarter Than a Fifth Grader? She thought Europe was a country :) whoops. All well. Sounds like you guys had a fun weekend. Cute pict. too. Your hair looks beautiful.

TJ said...

Shayla -- fun to read your post about the fair. Looks like you guys had lots of fun and got some great pictures. This line totally made me laugh: "So I have always been the one sitting off on the sidelines while the others have fun risking their lives on the crazy rides that are put up in a day and tested only a few times. Um...no thank you." I AM WITH YOU ON THIS ALL THE WAY! That is exactly the way I feel...so I may always be the "party pooper", but too bad. I think we're at least smart "party poopers", right?